You could buy a cast iron grill and now cleaning it seems time-consuming and cumbersome. But actually, it is not so. We have prepared a step-by-step guide on how to clean your grill easily. We recommend cleaning the grill every time after cooking because it will be easier to wash off the fat.
What will I need for cleaning the cast iron grill?
To clean a cast iron grill, you will need some cleaning products. The most effective ones you can find in our article. Here is a full list:
- Grill cleaner
- Grill brush
- A dry cloth or paper towel
Step 1 — begin with the grill grates
- Wait when your grill is cooled down to the point that you can touch it. Now you need to scrape the grates with a grill brush. Put in a little effort to scrape the leftover food off. You can use a little water to wash off all the pieces.
- Wipe the grates with a dry cloth or napkin.
- When the grill grates are dry, apply a thin coat of vegetable oil on them. It will prevent them from rust.
Step 2 — clean the grill inside and outside
The system here is almost the same except for a few points.
- Using a grill brush or scraper scrape all the leftover food and fuel from the grill bowl and lid. Sweep the trash out.
- Mix hot water with the grill cleaner and use this mixture to clean the grill. Then wash it with only hot water.
- Dry the whole grill with a dry cloth.
- Apply a thin coat of vegetable oil on all surfaces to prevent them from rust. You can use a paper towel to spread it evenly.
Step 3 — reassemble the grill
When everything is clean, reassemble the grill. Then heat it to 200°F for around 15 minutes. This will help the oil bind on the surfaces. Your grill is clean and ready for the next cooking.
Tips & Tricks: how quickly remove the rust
Moisture can get into the grill and it can rust. There are 3 ways to clean the rust:
- Vinegar. Rub the rusted surface with white vinegar and leave for a few minutes. Then clean the grill with a grill brush. Repeat if needed.
- Baking soda paste. Mix some water and baking soda to make a thick paste. Then apply it to the grill and wait for several hours. Clean the grill, repeating the procedure if necessary. Or you can mix one tablespoon of lemon juice and one cup of baking soda. The procedure is the same but it is better to wait for at least 24 hours.
- Salt paste. Use this method to clean particularly stubborn rust. Make a thick paste of kosher salt and water and apply it to the surface. Clean the grill using a steel scraper.
Cleaning the cast iron grill is much easier than it seems if you do it after the grilling. All you need is water, a grill brush or grill scraper, cleaner, and a bit of patience
🧼 What is the best way to clean cast iron grill grates?
Wait when your grill is cooled down to the point that you can touch it. Then you need to scrape the grates with a grill brush. You can use a little water to wash off all the pieces. After that wipe the grates with a dry cloth or napkin. You can read the whole process of cleaning the grill in our article.
✨ How do you make cast-iron grates look new?
There are three ways to make cast-iron grates look new. They are vinegar, baking soda paste, and salt paste. How to use them you can read in our article.
👍 Does vinegar take rust off cast iron?
Yes, vinegar takes rust off cast iron. You just need to rub the rusted surface with white vinegar and leave for a few minutes. Then clean the grill with a grill brush. Repeat if needed.
🧽 Can I use baking soda to clean cast iron?
Yes, you can. Mix some water and baking soda to make a thick paste. Then apply it to the grill and wait for several hours. Clean the grill, repeating the procedure if necessary.