Taking care of the skin is a big part of our life. But sometimes it seems hard and just too much. You want only one product for all your needs, but have to buy dozens of different for the neck, hands, each part of the face… What’s worse — not every product fits you and sometimes it turns just to wasting money. How to get out of this vicious circle especially when you are growing older and need it more than ever?
Wrinkles, fine lines, dry skin, age spots… What product can do most for your needs? We guess an excellent anti-aging cream can save you the hassle of buying a lot of other products. And here we have our top.
Comparison table: 5 best anti-aging creams
|Winner in |
decreasing wrinkles & overall skin nutrition
Neutrogena Regenerating Anti-Wrinkle Cream
|Skin type: all skin types
Size: 48 g/1.7 fl.oz
Main ingredients: Retinol SA, Hyaluronic Acid, Glucose Complex.
Formulated without: parabens, mineral oil, and dyes
- Causes a visible decrease in wrinkles and fine lines after the 2 weeks of use;
- Smoothes and brightens the texture of the skin;
- Perfectly moisturizes the skin.
|Winner in |
slowly runs out
Tatcha The Dewy Skin Cream
|Skin type: dry to mature
Size: 50 ml/1.7 fl. oz (also has travel size — 10 ml/0.34 fl.oz)
Japanese Purple Rice, Okinawa Algae Blend + Hyaluronic Acid, Botanical Extracts
- A small tube goes a long way;
- Makes wrinkles less visible in 3-4 weeks;
- Has a slight pleasant scent;
- Splendidly softens and moisturizes the skin.
|Winner in |
decent job moisturizing
CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
|Skin type: normal, dry
Size: 56 ml/1.89 fl.oz
Main ingredients: Ceramides, Hyaluronic Acid, Non-comedogenic & Fragrance-free
- Does a decent job moisturizing;
- Nourishes sagging skin (especially under the eyes);
- Doesn't have a smell (at first, it is light and soon disappears).
|Winner in |
smoothing the texture of the skin
Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine Cream
|Skin type: mature skin
Size: 50 ml/1.7 fl.oz
Main ingredients: Padina Pavonica, Chlorella, and Ginkgo Biloba.
- Perfectly softens the skin and makes it glowing;
- Has no greasy or oily texture;
- Has SPF 30 protection (protects from harmful solar radiation, slowing down the aging process).
|Winner in |
creams for sensitive areas
Tatcha Ageless Eye Cream
|Skin type: all skin types
Size: 15 ml/0.5 fl.oz (also has travel size — 3 ml/0.1 fl.oz)
Main ingredients: botanical extracts. Formulated without: Mineral Oil, Synthetic Fragrances, Sulfate Detergents, Parabens, Phthalates, Urea, DEA, or TEA.
- Very gentle on sensitive skin areas;
- Helps to reduce wrinkles, especially around the eyes.
How did we choose?
Choosing the right cream out of hundreds of similar creams is no easy task, we understand you. We felt it for ourselves because it was difficult to choose even five cool creams for our list. But we are not used to giving in to difficulties and decided to fully explore the market using our own methodology, which has already proven its usefulness.
This is how the selection process for anti-aging creams went:
- First of all, we have found more than 40 different anti-aging creams.
- We have picked 10 of them by rating and number of reviews to discover deeply.
- After that our team has analyzed over 500 reviews to compare them by over 20 criteria
- Finally, we have our top anti-aging creams — everyone wins in one of the categories.
This methodology helps our team to do two jobs at the same time. We discover the most important quality criteria of the product and determine the winner of each of them.
8 Significant Criteria for Choosing the Right Anti-Aging Cream
When conducting our research, we have defined such criteria:
- Decent job moisturizing
- Doesn’t have a smell (or it’s pleasant)
- Doesn’t irritate, burn, or itch skin
- Smoothes, and brightens the texture of the skin
- Decrease in lines (wrinkles)
- Has no hard, greasy, or oily texture
- Fit for sensitive areas of skin
- A small tube goes a long way.
Of course, it would be wonderful to find one cream which works for every criterion. But the truth is, you could hardly find such a “magic pill”. There is a simple explanation: the composition of the cream must be balanced. You can’t just take all the ingredients and shove them into one single cream. That’s why we have “winners” in different categories. You should just decide what your skin needs more for now.
Below we will compare the anti-aging best products in detail so that the difference is clear for you.
Each of Fresh Anti-Aging Creams in Detail
Neutrogena Regenerating Anti-Wrinkle Cream — winner in decreasing wrinkles & overall skin nutrition
- Effectively helps to disappear wrinkles
- Powerful hydration almost like CeraVe Moisturizing Cream (review)
- Smoothes your skin and makes it glow slightly less than Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine Cream (review)
- It is free of parabens, mineral oil, and dyes (so, the cream won’t speed the process of aging, won’t clog the pores, and won’t cause allergies)
- Affordable price
- Due to retinol, it may not fit you if you have a very sensitive skin
- You’d better not use it for sensitive areas around the eyes as it can cause irritation or burns
If your ideal anti-aging cream reduces wrinkles in the first place and also moisturizes and softens the skin texture well, this is a Neutrogena Regenerating Anti-Wrinkle Cream. What differentiates it from other creams on our list is retinol, which smoothes wrinkles and makes age spots less noticeable. Due to our research, it is a pretty effective substance to work with your fine lines, even with the deep ones.
But be aware: if you use this cream too much or have very sensitive skin, it can irritate it. You have to test it on a small area of skin for the first time to be sure it fits your skin type. And, of course, avoid applying this cream around the eyes. If you want a more gentle formula but still decrease wrinkles, you can think of Tatcha Ageless Eye Cream (review).
Tatcha The Dewy Skin Cream — winner in slow runs out
- Powerful hydration almost like CeraVe Moisturizing Cream (review)
- Softens and brightens your skin like Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine Cream (review)
- Has a slight delightful scent
- Can be a little bit pricey due to premium ingredients
- Less effective for dealing with the wrinkles than others on the list
When you are eager for creams that stay with you as long as you live (I’m joking, but still…), remember about Tatcha The Dewy Skin Cream. Due to its rich consistency, you need only a pea size for all your face and even neck each time. When we researched it, we found out that usually, you can use one jar for 3-3.5 months, compared to CeraVe Moisturizing Cream (review) which usually lasts for 1-1.5 months.
Other advantages are hydration and smoothing the skin. In this cream, these effects are achieved with the help of unique ingredients that can be called “entirely Japanese”. I mean Japanese Purple Rice, Okinawa Algae Blend which you won’t find in other products on our top. The first one is rich in anthocyanin, a powerful antioxidant that helps repair skin and look it healthier. The second one in blend with Hyaluronic Axid does moisturizing and softening work leaving skin nourished and really “dewy”.
CeraVe Moisturizing Cream — winner in decent job moisturizing
- Does the best moisturizing job of all the creams on our list
- Doesn’t have a smell
- The most affordable price
- It is the non-comedogenic (doesn’t clog pores and doesn’t contribute to the appearance of pimples)
- A small-sized tube is convenient to take with you during travels
- CeraVe products are still tested on animals
- Some people say it can irritate sensitive areas around the eyes
Sometimes all you need is just quality hydration for your face not for all the money in the world — CeraVe Moisturizing Cream was created exactly for these purposes. You would love it also because it goes on smoothly and is non-greasy and fits hands and elbows as well as face. It may be not as effective with wrinkles as a Neutrogena Regenerating Anti-Wrinkle Cream (review), but it still has Ceramides and Hyaluronic Acid in its composition.
Ceramides lock in moisture and reduce little visible signs of aging by protecting the epidermis (the outer layer of skin). Hyaluronic Acid (which you also can find in Tatcha The Dewy Skin Cream (review)) hydrates skin by binding and retaining water and also promotes cell regeneration, which provides a rejuvenating effect. Hyaluronic Acid acts as a sponge that absorbs liquid and retains it at different levels of the skin (epidermis, dermis). The higher the concentration of this substance, the higher the elasticity, smoothness, and density. This means that the risk of wrinkles and ptosis (sagging) of tissues is lower.
Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine Cream — winner in smoothing the texture of the skin
- The best for smoothing and brightening your skin
- Has SPF 30 protection (protects from harmful solar radiation)
- Has no oily or greasy texture
- Provides quality hydration almost like CeraVe Moisturizing Cream (review)
- It’s pretty pricey
- Some people say that the scent is rather unpleasant
Are you the kind of woman who loves to touch the skin and feel the silk? Then Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine Cream would be the best choice for you. It goes on very smoothly, absorbs easily, and leaves you with almost baby skin as you touch it. Also, it’s the only cream on our list with SPF protection, so you don’t need an extra UV protection agent. You can achieve a similar effect with Tatcha The Dewy Skin Cream (review), but it is provided here by other ingredients. Padina Pavonica, Chlorella, and Ginkgo Biloba — what do they do with your skin?
Padina Pavonica is a natural extract coming from a brown alga living in the Mediterranean. It has inside lipid and sterols that help skin condition and provide enough fat content that does not allow the skin to become dry and cracked. Chlorella contains many nucleic acids with powerful anti-aging properties that regulate the aging process. Finally, studies show that formulas with Ginkgo Biloba for skin can work to increase skin moisture-retention and smoothness, as well as reduce roughness. All these ingredients are natural, and this makes the price of the cream above average compared to Neutrogena Regenerating Anti-Wrinkle Cream (review) with a similar effect, but not natural ingredients.
Tatcha Ageless Eye Cream — winner in creams for sensitive areas
- The best anti-aging product for sensitive skin
- Helps with wrinkles in the eye zone
- Makes eyes less tired-looking
- Some people say it takes time for it to soak in well
- The price is above average
If you were thinking about a gentle premium anti-aging eye cream, Tatcha Ageless Eye Cream is your dream cream. We know it’s sometimes hard to find the right eye product, and in our research, we’ve found this cream works for the most women of all. Of course, this does not give you a 100% guarantee, so the plus is that this cream has a travel-size tube to try at first. Another plus is that it can decrease your fine lines around the eyes compared to Neutrogena Regenerating Anti-Wrinkle Cream (review) which is not very safe to use in sensitive areas.
Like all Tatcha products, this cream has some “entirely Japanese” ingredients including Okinawa red algae supplemented with peony and honeysuckle extracts. Okinawa algae provide hydration, and peony and honeysuckle extracts help improve skin elasticity and reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles. These ingredients are also natural like the ones in Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine Cream (review) which explains why this cream is pricey.
The price of anti-aging creams: is it worth overpaying?
I think that here we should explain why some anti-aging creams are so pricey, and others are not. It’s all about ingredients. If you see a premium anti-aging cream that works, I’ll bet it has mostly natural ingredients which are not so easy to get. You can also find another anti-aging product that works and costs a few times less. That means it consists of artificial components. Don’t be afraid of them — only a few are dangerous. Try to avoid such ingredients in your cream:
- Parabens (Increase the effect of ultraviolet light and can cause an allergy)
- Formaldehyde (The WHO has officially recognized that it causes cancer)
- Hydroquinone (Blocks the main enzyme responsible for melanin production. And melanin protects the skin from harsh UV rays)
- Mineral oils (Clog pores and causes acne)
- Sodium lauryl, Laureth sulfate (May irritate the mucous membranes, cause skin dryness if exposed for a long time)
- Synthetic flavors, fragrances (Can cause allergic reactions, migraines, and asthma attacks)
- Ethanolamines (Irritate the skin and mucous membranes and can disrupt the thyroid gland)
All in all, your skin is unique and it’s hard to say which cream fits it until you try it. If you are interested in the pricey anti-aging cream but doubt if it is worth paying for, you can buy probe. Many premium brands have such an option. With a probe, you’ll understand is it good for your skin or not. If you are not ready now to spend much money on skincare, you can try more affordable products, for example, Neutrogena Regenerating Anti-Wrinkle Cream (review) or CeraVe Moisturizing Cream (review).
We believe that skincare products are worth overpaying in two cases. The first is if the natural ingredients in your cream are significant to you. The main advantages of natural cosmetics are that they are usually suitable for all skin types and are less likely to cause side effects such as allergies or irritation. In general, it is safer, as it definitely does not contain the hazardous substances that we talked about above.
By the way, Kari Gran’s survey stated that 73% of millennial women prefer green beauty. Another Toluna x Refinery29 Research 2017 found out that 40% of millennial women are ready to spend more on natural cosmetics.
The second is if creams with artificial ingredients do not work for you. That is, if your creams with synthetic ingredients cause allergies or irritation, dry the skin instead of moisturizing, or simply do not change anything, they are not suitable for you.
Myths about the anti-aging creams
- They don’t change anything in our skin.
No, they do. But there are two points. First — they act mainly on the outer layer of the skin (and there are 8 of them). Second — they do not act instantly, this is not magic. Our cells are renewed within 28 days, and the components during this period should carry out their explanatory work — to patch existing holes, stimulate the growth of new cells, and rid the skin of old dead cells. It will take 4 to 8 weeks when using active cosmetics. Also, you should pay attention to your lifestyle as it influences your skin condition directly. If you don’t sleep enough, drink little water, or smoke, anti-aging creams will hardly help you.
- Only old people can use anti-aging products.
What a surprise — signs of aging can appear on the skin at any age! They are influenced by various factors — vitamin deficiency, bad habits, stress, and lack of sleep. But doctors do not recommend using anti-aging cosmetics until the age of 25-30. Anyway, each case is individual and it is up to you to decide when to start using anti-aging cosmetics.
- There is a universal rejuvenating agent.
The cream that is suitable for all ages, skin types, and any problems doesn’t exist. Do not believe if they say that the miracle cream should be applied in the morning and evening, and all wrinkles will disappear. The elixir of youth in one bottle has not yet been invented.
- The better known the brand, the better the effect.
The effectiveness of a cosmetic product is due solely to its chemical composition, so neither the brand nor its manufacturer, nor the price of the drug does not automatically make it effective. It’s all about the product.
- Retinol is the best and indispensable component of anti-aging cosmetics
The truth is, retinol may not be right for you at all. It is helpful with smoothing wrinkles (including deep ones), lightening pigment spots, evening out skin tone and texture, etc. But your skin might be too sensitive for retinol. You should use it gradually and watch out for how your skin reacts. If it is too irritated or burns out, try another cream without retinol. For example, Tatcha Ageless Eye Cream (review) works out better for sensitive skin.
The right anti-aging cream can make your skin look younger for longer — that’s a fact. It is not a magic pill for your wrinkles (especially deep ones), but when used constantly, you’ll see the difference. The texture of the skin of the face will become softer, shallow wrinkles can be smoothed out — it all depends on the cream that you choose.
When choosing, you should pay attention to factors such as moisturizing work, nutrition and smoothing of the skin, reduction of wrinkles, and the presence or absence of odor. It may also be important for you that the cream is suitable for sensitive skin and lasts for a long time. Each cream is better at one thing and weaker at another, so you need to understand what exactly your skin needs right now.
🌟Do anti-aging creams work?
Yes, they do. But you should remember that they can only slow down skin aging because they influence the upper layers of the skin and cannot reach the lower ones.
👱♀️Can anti-aging cream make you look younger?
An anti-aging cream can slow down skin aging and make skin texture smoother and softer. This will make you look younger.
🤨At what age should I start using anti-aging cream?
Doctors do not recommend using anti-aging cosmetics until the age of 25-30. But wrinkles and other signs of aging can appear at any age. Only you can decide when to start using anti-aging products
🧹Can cream remove deep wrinkles?
The anti-aging creams can reduce wrinkles, but not remove them completely. Only special cosmetic procedures or surgery can completely get rid of wrinkles.
🥇Which anti-aging cream is the best?
Depending on your needs watch these:
Best in decreasing wrinkles & overall skin nutrition — Neutrogena Regenerating Anti-Wrinkle Cream
Best in moisturizing work — CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
Best anti-aging eye cream — Tatcha Ageless Eye Cream