Uninterrupted electricity became an integral part of our lives. Unfortunately, sometimes unplanned power outages and natural disasters, like storms and hurricanes, can shake our nervous system pretty much, depriving us of the necessary — indoor & outdoor lights, a refrigerator, an air conditioner, fresh food, and cold drinks. How can we prevent this unpleasant and rather emotional situation?
The answer is the dual fuel generator! It will become a real lifesaver If you are living in a house and want to light up the yard, working on a farm where you probably don’t have constant access to the power, owning some businesses that require a constant power supply, and dozens of other situations where you may need quality power. The main advantage of the dual generator compared to other types is that it allows you to choose the fuel: it uses both propane & gasoline.
We have found the top-5 dual fuel generators in the different price ranges. Feel free to read this article and choose your own best generator depending especially on your needs!
Comparison table: 5 best dual fuel generators
|Champion Power Equipment 76533|
The most reliable in emergencies
|Item Dimensions: 26.3 x 24.8 x 22.9 inches
Item Weight: 122.00 lbs
Power Source: Gas, Propane
Voltage: 120 volts
Wattage: 3800 watts
- Highly reliable during power outages and natural disasters, like hurricanes, etc., due to Its easy electric start and non-stop working time (14/15 hours a day).
- Easy to set-up (takes less than 15 mins).
The most powerful
|Item Dimensions: 30 x 29 x 26 inches
Item Weight: 224.00 lbs
Power Source: Dual Fuel
Voltage: 240 volts
Wattage: 12000 watts
- It has plenty of power options.
- It can run non-stop all day due to 12,000 starting watts and 9,500 running watts.
- Easily copes with a heavy load.
|Champion Power Equipment 100263|
The quietest operation
|Item Dimensions: 25.1 x 17.3 x 18.3 inches
Item Weight: 95.70 lbs
Power Source: Gas, Propane
Voltage: 120 volts
Wattage: 3400 watts
- The quietest model from the list.
- The easiest oil change according to the reviews.
The most efficient
|Item Dimensions: 40 x 29 x 27.5 inches
Item Weight: 239.00 lbs
Power Source: Dual Fuel
Voltage: 120 volts
Wattage: 10000 watts
- The generator runs all night without having to fill the tank thanks to 10000 watts wattage and economical fuel consumption.
- An auto-idle protects from overload.
|DuroMax XP4850EHThe easiest electric start||Item Dimensions: 24 x 17 x 17 inches
Item Weight: 130.00 lbs
Power Source: Gas, Propane
Voltage: 120 volts
Wattage: 3850 watts
- The generator starts up very easily with the key.
- Has recoil start, in case of a battery drain-out.
- The most compact.
How did we choose
- Firstly, we looked at the highest-rated dual fuel generators in different price segments.
- Secondly, we took 10 top-rated models for a detailed review (excluded outdated ones or models with fewer reviews).
- After that, we analyzed more than 100 customer reviews and eventually picked top-5 dual fuel generators.
This quality research helps us understand what is most important for dual fuel generators’ users. We were able to highlight the best criteria for each model. After comparing our results, we listed the top-5 dual fuel generators. You can see our calculation methodology in the picture below.
What to pay attention to when choosing a dual fuel generator
Here are the most important factors to consider when you are looking for a dual fuel generator:
- The first factor is the ability to cope with a heavy load. The generator should be able to power a lot of devices at the same time and run for a long time without any technical problems. The most powerful in this matter is DuroMax XP12000EH (review). It has plenty of power options and can run nonstop all day.
- The generator must be highly reliable in emergencies — especially during power outages and natural disasters, like hurricanes, etc. The generator should be your faithful friend, companion in a difficult moment. The Champion Power Equipment 76533 (review) will be set up due to wheels in less than 15 mins without any problems, which is vital, especially during hurricane wind. Thanks to the easy electric start and non-stop working time (14/15 hours a day), the Champion can become a real lifesaver for you.
- The next very important criterion is an easy electric start. Thus, the generator should start quickly, especially when you are in a rush to supply electricity to your home. The best model in this category is DuroMax XP4850EH (review). The generator starts up very easily with the key, has a recoil start, in case of a battery drain-out, and last, but not least — the generator keeps your beer cold.
- Efficiency. The unit should be quite economical — it takes the least fuel, but produces the same amount of electricity compared to other generators. The DuroStar DS10000EH (review) offers the greatest efficiency: the generator runs all night without having to fill the tank thanks to 10000 watts wattage and economical fuel consumption.
- The fifth aspect is low noise. Your dream dual fuel generator should operate quietly If you don’t want to start a real war between neighbors. The Champion Power Equipment 100263 (review) is the quietest on the list. Some people even call him quiet, like a whisper. You can even talk while the generator works, so the barbeque is not canceled when the lights are turned off!
Some additional points will also make your dual fuel generator purchase better:
Additional factors to pay attention to
- Grounding scheme system — for your safety. Grounding is used to protect from electric shock.
- Compact size — this will help the generator take up little space and at the same time be functional.
- Well-designed — when all parts and details of the generator are well built and work perfectly.
- Stable electricity generation — it concerns uninterrupted power supply, activity on the voltmeter, power in outlets, etc.
- Plenty of power options — each generator has a rated (real) and maximum power option. A quality generator can operate at maximum power for as long as possible without overloading. However, it must be remembered that the long-term operation of any generator at the “limit of possibilities” shortens its service life.
- Trouble-free oil change and operation of oil filters — the oil must be changed easily and the filters work smoothly.
- Easy to move around — even older people should be able to move the generator without problems.
- Battery charging — the battery must be initially charged and easily charged throughout the “life” of the generator.
- Lightweight — the generator shouldn’t be critically heavy to be able to move around.
- No leaking — naturally, the generator shouldn’t leak for the safety of operation of all parts of the unit.
- Available replacement parts for this unit and replacement process — the generator unit must assume the availability of spare parts and propose a replacement process.
We picked the best models based on these criteria and made a detailed review of each.
A detailed review of each model
Champion Power Equipment 76533 — The most reliable in emergencies
- The most suitable model for the emergencies
- Has the fast start
- Easy to hook up even for older people
- Easy electric start with the handy toggle switch
- Has a special low oil shut-off sensor to prevent wearing out
- Includes three outlets to control the load and distribute it correctly
- Includes Volt Guard, built-in surge protector, to prevent overloads
- A little bit noisy
- Frequent oil changes possible (not as efficient as DuroStar DS10000EH)
If you are looking for the perfect generator for emergencies, pay attention to the Champion Power Equipment 76533. It suits not only for typical power outages but also for extremely critical situations, especially during natural disasters, like hurricanes, etc. First of all, it has a very fast electric start, which is highly important when you are in a hurry to set it up. Another advantage is a handy toggle switch, which makes electric start easier. Second of all, timing will not disappoint you: it can be ready from the box in less than 15 mins. For comparison, DuroMax XP12000EH (review) also has a fast electric start. Third of all, even older people can add wheels and hook the Champion up without a problem.
There is a special oil shut-off sensor, which shuts off the generator when the oil level is low: this won’t allow the generator to wear out quickly and will significantly extend its service life. Also, the unit includes three outlets: one 120V 30A RV outlet (TT-30R), one 120V 30A locking outlet (L5-30R), and two 120V 20A household outlets (5-20R) to control the load and distribute it correctly — not every generator includes them. Moreover, it has a Volt Guard built-in surge protector, which prevents overloads and excludes the generator from being used up quickly. The generator has average size (26.3 x 24.8 x 22.9 inches). It is bigger than the most compact DuroMax XP4850EH (24 x 17 x 17 inches) (review), but still highly portable and easy to move around.
DuroMax XP12000EH — The most powerful
- Has the highest wattage
- Has plenty of power options (12,000 starting watts and 9,500 running watts)
- Can handle heavy loads and high amperage power tools
- Has a quick start
- Is approved by EPA and CARB for use in all 50 States
- Sometimes oil can spray out
- Has no cords
The most powerful generator from our top is DuroMax XP12000EH. Let’s start with the obvious: it has the highest wattage compared to other generators and plenty of power options — 12,000 starting watts and 9,500 running watts. Therefore, it easily handles heavy loads and high amperage power tools. Also, the generator has quite a powerful battery, that’s why it operates nonstop all day (and night) long. Refrigerators, various computers, conditioners, any lights you want to use, the coffee maker and the microwave — DuroMax XP12000EH covers all your needs and at the same time consumes less fuel than other standby units.
Just like a Champion Power Equipment 76533 (review), DuroMax XP12000EH has a quick start too: after turning the key, the generator starts right up in less than 3 seconds. Like all DuroMax generators, models XP12000EH and XP4850EH (review) both are approved by EPA and CARB for use in all 50 States. Like any engines that burn combustible fuel, power generators can produce toxic fumes that are released into the atmosphere. CARB tries to limit California’s air pollution caused by these harmful gases. EPA also protects the atmosphere, but CARB rules are usually stricter than EPA rules. Many generators are labeled as “CARB-compliant.” Choose those even if you don’t live in California, because they’re better for the environment and legal for use everywhere in the United States.
The only thing you should know before buying this generator is that it is cordless. That is why it will be necessary to buy or make the special hose that connects to the propane tank, the cord that connects it to any amp plug, and the ground wire.
Champion Power Equipment 100263 — The quietest operation
- Ultra-quiet operation: the noise level is 59 dBA at 23 feet
- Produces clean power for sensitive electronics
- Includes two household outlets
- The oil changes incredibly easy
- Is little enough for one person to lift
- Has easy modification to hook up
- Less efficient than DuroStar DS10000EH (review)
- Heavier than other generators on the list
The Champion Power Equipment 100263 is rightfully considered the winner in the category “The quietest operation”. To be precise, the noise level is 59 dBA at 23 feet which can be regarded as an ultra-quiet operation. Compared with other generators, the Champion is the quietest — for example, DuroStar DS10000EH (review) is 72dBA and DuroMax XP4850EH (review) is 69 dBA. Some people even call him quiet, like a whisper! So, if you want to maintain warm relations with your neighbors, not be an outcast in the hiking camp, and talk while the generator works, feel free to choose this model of the Champion family.
This unit is heavier than smaller generators like the most compact DuroMax XP4850EH (review), but still liftable by one person, which can not be said about the DuroStar DS10000EH (review). The additional advantage of the Champion generator is producing clean power for sensitive electronics. It includes two 120V 20A household outlets with clean electricity and a 12V DC outlet with a dual USB adapter. It helps control the load and distribute it correctly. Also, it is incredibly easy to change the oil and to hook it up.
DuroStar DS10000EH — The most efficient
- Offers the greatest efficiency, due to 10000 watts wattage
- Takes the least fuel, produces the same amount of power
- Has an auto-idle, that protects from overload
- In second place in terms of wattage (DuroMax XP12000EH is the first)
- Has automatic low oil shutoff, that won’t allow the generator to wear out quickly
- Is approved by EPA and CARB for use in all 50 States
- The biggest and, naturally, the heaviest model
- Noise Level: 72dBA. Is louder than Champion Power Equipment 100263 (59 dBA)
If we are talking about the most efficient generator, then the number one in this category is DuroStar DS10000EH. What is its effectiveness? It takes the least fuel but produces the same amount of electricity as other generators. This generator offers the greatest efficiency: it runs all night without having to fill the tank thanks to 10000 watts wattage and economical fuel consumption. Also, it is in second place in terms of wattage with its 10000 watts after DuroMax XP12000EH (review) with 12000 watts.
An additional useful generator function is an auto-idle, which is easy to apply with a flick of a switch, and which protects from overload. The system is quite simple: a sensor looks at the output of the generator to determine if there is any current flowing, which would represent a load. If nothing is plugged in, there will be no current. When a consumer is plugged in, the current will flow. Also, DuroStar has an automatic low oil shutoff, that won’t allow the generator to wear out quickly. Moreover, it is approved by EPA and CARB for use in all 50 States as DuroMax XP12000EH (review). Like any engines that burn combustible fuel, power generators can produce toxic fumes that are released into the atmosphere. Many generators are labeled as “CARB-compliant.” Choose those even if you don’t live in California, because they’re better for the environment and legal for use everywhere in the United States.
If efficiency is the most important criteria for you, choose this DuroStar generator and you will not regret it.
DuroMax XP4850EH — The easiest electric start
- The easiest electric start function with the key
- The most compact
- Due to its effectiveness propane lasts twice as long
- A recoil start, if the battery is dead
- Super simple to install and use
- Can hear a hissing sound of propane coming from down by pressure release
The easiest electric start function has DuroMax XP4850EH because of the key: it is not only easy to get started, but also to stop. This user-friendly generator can be started with a recoil start, in case of a battery drain-out. Besides, this DuroMax model is the most compact generator on the list; it is 1,5 times smaller than DuroStar DS10000EH (review). That’s why if you are looking for not only a powerful but also a compact generator you should choose this unit.
As for the noise, DuroMax XP4850EH has an average noise level among all generators — 69 dBA. It is higher than 59 dBA of Champion Power Equipment 100263 (review) and lower than 72 dBA of DuroStar DS10000EH (review). With this generator, you will not have problems with neighbors because of the noise, and with households — about the space, it occupies. It is also a winning model because it is super easy to install and use. And last, but not least — the generator always keeps your beer cold.
Note: If you’re planning to run the AC unit for a trailer or RV, you will need the DuroMax XP 3030 RV Power Adapter. Plug the 4 prong side into the generator and plug the trailer into the 3 prong side of the adapter. Turn the power switch to a 120V setting, not 120/240. If you don’t go this route the breaker on the generator will throw every time you try to turn on your AC unit.
Dual fuel generator do’s and don’ts
When you buy a dual fuel generator for the first time, there are some “Do’s and Don’ts” you should know to make your purchase experience better and easier. Here is a list of actual tips and prohibitions for setting up a dual fuel generator for the first time in your life.
- Always try to use the dual fuel generator outside for your safety, or keep it indoors but strictly in a spacious room with working ventilation, as the generator emits carbon monoxide.
- Keep the generator dry. Do not use it during the rain and never touch it with wet hands. Keep the generator under a canopy and protect it from wind and rain, otherwise, fire or electric shock may result. Also, a wet environment is dangerous for the engine.
- Wear the proper clothing. When working with the generator, it is best to use special protective gloves, closed-toe shoes, jeans, or heavy-duty pants. Such precautions will help to avoid electric shock.
- Plug appliances directly into the generator or use an outdoor-rated extension lead. Check that the entire cord is free of cuts and that the plug has all three prongs, especially an earthing pin.
- Before refueling the generator, turn it off and let it cool down. Fuel spilled on hot engine parts could ignite.
- Do not overload the dual fuel generator. Before buying a portable generator, you need to calculate the amount of power you are going to need.
- Never try to power the house wiring by plugging the generator into a wall outlet, it is known as backfeeding. This is extremely dangerous and there is a risk to utility workers and neighbors who are served by the same utility transformer.
- Avoid creating a fire hazard. Store fuel for your generator in properly labeled non-glass safety containers and keep it away from children.
Accessories to make your generator experience better
Improve your dual fuel generator experience with:
Generator tent cover
IGAN Generator Tent Running Cover
The generator should not be used in rain or other wet conditions, largely because of safety concerns: it produces a powerful voltage, and when you add moisture, this could lead to electrocution or explosion. 100% waterproof tarp will protect your generator from rain, snow, high winds, or wet weather.
Generator power cord
Champion Generator Power Cord for Manual Transfer Switch
You can extend 30 amps of power up to 25 feet with Champion’s convenient generator cord. Just connect your portable generator to the transfer switch on your home to easily and safely provide power where you need it most.
RV Ready Parallel Kit for linking two generators
Champion RV Ready Parallel Kit for Linking Two 2800-Watt or Higher Inverter Generators
This RV Ready Parallel Kit is designed to increase your power by connecting two 2800W or higher inverter generators. It’s very handy when two 15,000 BTU RV air conditioners need to run.
Press ‘N Pour Gas Can
GARAGE BOSS Press ‘N Pour Gas Can
Just press and pour! The press-button operation gives you precision flow control for an accurate, no-mess pour.
Heavy-duty 4-prong generator adapter
Camco Heavy Duty PowerGrip 4-Prong Generator Adapter
Allows you easily and safely distribute power from 30 Amp male receptacles into two 15 Amp female receptacles. It is needed for four prong generators: it adapts a 4-prong 30 AMP L14-30 receptacle to two 15 AMP 5-15 receptacles to reduce the load.
A correctly selected dual fuel generator will become an actual lifesaver for you in crises, whether it is a typical power outage or a real emergency case such as hurricanes, other natural disasters, etc. The generator allows you not to panic, having an extra energy reserve at home. Using a dual fuel generator you can light up the yard, camping spot, playground for children, summer house, garden bower with BBQ, etc.
The dual fuel generator may be needed by the owners of some businesses that require a constant power supply (e. g. restaurants with big refrigerators to keep products), by people who work on farms, who probably don’t have constant access to the power supply or even to the gas supply, so they can buy propane or gasoline tanks to power the generator and get electricity. So, choosing the generator, pay attention to the ability to cope with a heavy load first, reliability in emergencies, easy electric start and efficiency, and low noise.
Our top-5 dual fuel generators from $500 to $1500 are based on these criteria and include the following models:
|Champion Power Equipment 76533||The most reliable in emergencies|
|DuroMax XP12000EH||The most powerful|
|Champion Power Equipment 100263||The quietest operation|
|DuroStar DS10000EH||The most efficient|
|DuroMax XP4850EH||The easiest electric start|
💎 What are dual fuel generators?
Dual fuel generators use two different types of fuel at the same time. Most often it is diesel and natural gas. You can use these fuels alone or mix them in different proportions, depending on the engine and your personal needs.
💪 How does dual fuel work?
A dual-fuel generator usually hooks up on one type of fuel, and a special governor that is built into the system gradually adds the secondary fuel source until the optimal mixture of the two fuels is achieved for the most efficient running.
🥇 What are the best dual fuel generators in 2021?
The best dual fuel generators in 2021 include:
- Champion Power Equipment 76533 is the most reliable in emergencies.
- DuroMax XP12000EH is the most powerful.
- Champion Power Equipment 100263 has the quietest operation.
- DuroStar DS10000EH is the most efficient.
- DuroMax XP4850EH has the easiest electric start.
Read our article about top-5 dual fuel generators to get more info.
🤫 What is the quietest dual fuel generator?
The quietest model is Champion Power Equipment 100263. You can talk while the generator works pretty easily. Also, some people even call him quiet, like a whisper. Find detailed information about this model in our article.
🚀 What dual fuel generator has the easiest electric start?
DuroMax XP4850EH has the easiest electric start and starts up very easily with the key. More information about this and other models can be found in our article.
💫 What dual fuel generator has the best efficiency?
DuroStar DS10000EH is the most efficient dual fuel generator. It takes the lease fuel, but at the same time works at full strength. The generator runs all night without having to fill the tank.