Sometimes training in the gym becomes repetitive and exhausting. In addition, through lack of the result, many lose motivation and quit training.
Planet Fitness gym chain aims to break the stereotypes and misconceptions surrounding “typical gyms.” This makes it possible not only to exercise on simulators but also to use hydromassage chairs, beds, as well as an interesting device that emits red light — Total Body Enhancement, which we will talk about today.
Total Body Enhancement is a device that manufacturers claim can reduce weight, improve skin condition and also take away the pain, but is it true?
About Planet Fitness
Planet Fitness is a gym system with over 2,000 locations across America, Canada, the Dominican Republic, Panama, and Mexico. They are one of the fastest-growing gym chains in America.
This gym is primarily composed of cardio equipment and free-weight-type machines. Its original purpose was to make people feel welcome, find out their goals, and show them how to achieve those goals.
Planet Fitness is well-known for its slogan “No Gymtimidation.” It was originally signed in 1999 and came from a marketing campaign that sought to attract more women and families to the gym. Planet Fitness continues this slogan and focuses on making it “friendly and enjoyable for everyone.”
Planet Fitness requires membership at various levels. There is a basic level that allows you to access a standard set of equipment. And there is also a Black Card, which gives you access to a wider range (hydro-massage chairs and beds, PF tanning), as well as the ability to avoid certain hours when the place gets too packed. Another feature is the ability to use a machine called Total Body Enhancement.
What is Total Body Enhancement in “Planet Fitness”?
Total Body Enhancement, also known as the Beauty Angel RVT 30, is a booth very similar to a standard tanning booth but it uses red light therapy. The lamp emits a specific wavelength of light that is used to reach the cells and cause chemical reactions within them. As a result, it has many positive effects on the body and skin.
The Beauty Angel RVT 30 has the following effects:
- Losing weight: increases blood flow to adipose tissue. This allows your body to break down fat cells much more easily.
- Increase energy levels: stimulating the production of serotonin also reduces fatigue and drowsiness. You will feel more energetic, focused, and motivated after using a machine. This is a great option before a workout to warm up and feel a surge of energy, or after — if you still have a lot of tasks planned for today and need to be in good shape.
- Anti-aging: stimulates the production of collagen and elastin, thus reducing many signs of aging such as wrinkles and fine lines. It also helps to regenerate cells in the dermis layer of the skin which results in a healthy glow.
- Removing post-acne scars: has a positive effect on scars and other damage caused by acne.
- Anti-Inflammatory: helps to reduce inflammation in the body and helps to heal pain and swelling.
- Firming: stimulates collagen production which helps keep your skin firm and supple, reducing sagging and fine lines.
- Reducing chronic pain: stimulates the production of serotonin which helps to reduce pain.
How does Total Body Enhancement work?
Total Body Enhancement has been designed to work by stimulating the body’s natural response to internal and external processes. It is a technology that combines red light therapy with vibration therapy.
Red light therapy emits wavelengths in the range of 620 nm to 770 nm. This range can go deep into the body and, along with vibration therapy, work together to promote the production of. Thus, the benefits include improved circulation, increased cellular energy, and cell rejuvenation.
On the other hand, this device enhances weight loss by stimulating the nervous system and increasing circulation.
When the body is stimulated to produce ATP energy for cells using Total Body Enhancement, that energy can then be used up more quickly than it would naturally. The cells will become tired — exhausted even — and need to rest. When they rest, that means that the body must use stored fat for energy. That’s why, with this technology, weight loss can be accelerated.
In addition,is integral in regenerating tissues in the body. It is also essential for proper immune system function, which promotes the healing of wounds and burns at rapid rates.
The science behind Total Body Enhancement
There are many opinions about how effective Total Body Enhancement is. To prove or refute these thoughts, we will look at the technology of this device, namely red light therapy. Its effects and effectiveness are presented in the scientific studies below.
Clinical studies and reports from many health experts strongly demonstrate that red light therapy can be an effective, safe, and natural treatment for weight loss and fat reduction, as well as an effective method for body contouring and cosmetic enhancement.
A two-week study  of 86 people using red light therapy (635 nm) showed impressive results for weight loss. Each treatment consisted of a 20-minute treatment of the waist and hips on both sides. Ultimately, the patients showed a decrease in the waist (1.1 inches or 2.8 cm) and hip circumference (1.2 inches or 3 cm).
The following study  was conducted to evaluate the effectiveness of a low-level laser light device in improving the appearance of cellulite on the thighs and buttocks. Two groups (68 participants in total) were recruited to undergo treatment with a device that emits a red light or sham treatment for two weeks. As a result, the majority of patients receiving red light therapy (62.1%) were very or partially satisfied with their improvement in cellulite compared to the sham group.
The next study  investigated the efficacy and mechanism by which 635-680 nm red therapy acts as a non-invasive method of body contouring. 40 overweight patients were randomized for laser or control treatment. The waistlines were treated for 30 minutes twice a week for 4 weeks. The overall result in 4 weeks was -0.85 inches (2.15 cm).
The benefits of red light therapy go far beyond the skin. Many notice the effectiveness of therapy for pain relief and muscle relaxation.
A study  was involving 17 patients with lymphhedhy (edema parts of the body) took part, which is accompanied by pain. Treatment consisted of red light therapy procedures. As a result, 14 of 17 patients (82%) have experienced a decrease in pain when moving by an average of 40% and 62.7% after the first and second light therapy cycle, respectively.
The following study  confirms the effectiveness of light therapy in patients with chronic pain. 820 patients were randomly separated into two groups: the first — treatment of red therapy, the second — placebo treatment for 22 weeks. As a result, the group that received light therapy reported reducing the intensity of pain with preservation of anesthesia, in contrast to the second group. The side effects of red therapy were minor and did not differ from the side effects of a placebo.
Also, red light therapy has been demonstrated to be safe and effective for skin rejuvenation and repair.
The study  involved 113 patients. They were randomly divided into four treatment groups, treated with 611-650 or 570-850 nm light twice a week. The radiation intensity and duration of treatment varied across all treatment groups. As a result, patients experienced a significant improvement in complexion and skin feel and a decrease in skin roughness.
A study  was involving 31 patients with facial wrinkles. There were nine procedures in total, which combined the wavelengths of 633 nm and 830 nm. The improvement in skin surface was assessed at 9 and 12 weeks. The results showed significant improvements — 52% of the subjects showed an improvement in photoaging indicators by 25-50% by the 12th week; 81% of patients reported a significant reduction in wrinkles at the end of follow-up.
How to use Total Body Enhancement
Different Planet Fitness gyms may have different Total Body Enhancement models, but they work the same way.
- There are usually foot icons in the middle of the platform. This indicates where you should be standing.
- Look up and you will find straps to hold on to while standing. These straps are designed to provide support during vibration. They will help you keep your balance with a variety of vibration programs.
- Next, you should pay attention to the position of your knees. Better to keep them slightly bent. This position helps to ensure that the correct muscles are engaged during vibration programs. Slightly bent knees also help maintain balance.
- Also, red lights are located around you, so you don’t have to move or change position to expose all of your skin to light. Just let the machine run on its own.
What not to do when using Total Body Enhancement:
- Do not move when you are using the device. Red lights are located around you, so you don’t need to change your position.
- Do not enter the device with loose hair, tie it in a bun so that it does not cover your back or any other part of your body. It will also be more comfortable if your hair is tied up while you are vibrating session.
- Do not enter the device in clothes if you are aiming to use a red light. Since it cannot penetrate clothing, you need as much exposed skin as possible.
- It is recommended not to use the machine every day, but to take a 48-hour break.
Total Body Enhancement Programs
The user can choose between four different programs for this machine. The intensity and duration of each program can be tailored to individual needs.
Program No. 1 — Low intensity
This program is also called “Feel Great”. It helps to improve flexibility, relaxes muscles with smooth movements with a low vibration frequency.
🤗 It is recommended to use it after training in the gym to reduce muscle tension, improve blood circulation and reduce the risk of injuries. It is also a great option for people who do not work out or/and sit at the computer for hours.
Program No. 2 — Medium intensity
This program is also called “New You”. It uses vibrations and massages of medium frequency to improve muscle tone through alternating, controlled movements. This is an easy activity that helps to relax the whole body, strengthen muscles, improve the flow of blood and lymphatic fluid.
😎 This program is designed for beginners. It is ideal for people who want to start exercising or return to their previous workouts after a long period of inactivity.
Program No. 3 — High intensity
This program is for more advanced users. It is also called “Cross-training”. It uses intense vibration combined with high-frequency interval training.
🥵 This is a balanced program that strengthens the muscles with powerful movements and activates metabolism. It can replace a complete workout for the beginner. Also, this program can be an add-on for athletes or sports enthusiasts.
Program No. 4 — Mixed Intensity
This mixed frequency program targets specific muscle groups in the arms, legs, abdomen, and buttocks. It helps build lean muscle mass and burns calories simultaneously.
🤩 It is suitable for all levels of fitness, but beginners should start with a lower intensity.
How many calories does total body enhancement burn?
Total Body Enhancement is a portmanteau of “total body exercise” in which the entire body is exercised for 12 minutes at low intensity. You can burn up to 190 calories in one 12-minute Total Body Enhancement session. In addition to burning fat, you will also tone muscles, reduce your waistline and increase muscle strength.
Who should not use the Total Body Enhancement machine?
- People who have had a brain or spinal operation;
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women;
- People with heart problems and people using heart medication. It is also not recommended to use a machine if you suffer from migraines because it can make your symptoms worse;
- People who are using anticoagulant medication (a blood clotting blocking agent) and/or antiplatelet medications (reduces the ability of blood to coagulate and therefore reduces the risk of clots) because red light therapy has been found to increase the risk of bleeding;
- People with epilepsy should refrain from using a machine until they have consulted a doctor;
- People suffering from cancer should not use red light therapy, unless under the supervision of a doctor;
- People suffering from sunburn must not use a machine until the burn has healed;
- It is not recommended to combine red light therapy with some medications and conventional medicine that contain vitamin A, such as isotretinoin (the active ingredient of the popular acne medicine) because vitamin A accelerates the adverse effects of light therapy (redness, burns).
Total Body Enhancement at Planet Fitness is a revolutionary device that has many benefits for its user. It has been shown to help reduce weight and cellulite by increasing metabolism; improving color, and overall skin condition. It also promotes relaxation and also fights pain, making it one of the indispensable devices for maintaining beauty and health.
However, you must understand that you need to use Total Body Enhancement frequently and consistently to reap the long-term benefits and achieve the results you want. Don’t be discouraged if you don’t notice anything special after just one use. If you continue to use the machine, over time you will see your transformation.
🤔 Do you need a membership to use Total Body Enhancement?
Yes, Black сard membership is required to use the Total Body Enhancement features.
🥵 Will I get a tan with Total Body Enhancement?
No, Total Body Enhancement uses red light therapy that does not cause tanning. But, after the treatment, you may notice that your skin is more sensitive to sunlight and it is highly recommended to wear sunscreen.
👕 Do I need to take off my clothes when I want to use Total Body Enhancement?
The parts of the body that you want to treat with red light therapy must be exposed to light. Most people only wear underwear or a swimsuit inside the machine.
🥽 Do I need to wear protective glasses when using Total Body Enhancement?
That is unnecessary. Total Body Enhancement devices use red light, no harmful UV rays. However, it may be too bright for you. If your eyes are sensitive or you just feel more comfortable wearing safety glasses, wear them.
- Alexander Wunschcorresponding and Karsten Matuschka. A Controlled Trial to Determine the Efficacy of Red and Near-Infrared Light Treatment in Patient Satisfaction, Reduction of Fine Lines, Wrinkles, Skin Roughness, and Intradermal Collagen Density Increase. Photomed Laser Surg. 2014 Feb 1; 32(2): 93–100. DOI: 10.1089/pho.2013.3616
- B. A. Russell, N. Kellett, L. R. Reilly. A study to determine the efficacy of combination LED light therapy (633 nm and 830 nm) in facial skin rejuvenation. – J Cosmet Laser Ther. 2005 Dec;7(3-4):196-200. DOI: 10.1080/14764170500370059.
- Abuzer Dirican, Oya Andacoglu, Ronald Johnson, Kandace McGuire, Lisa Mager, Atilla Soran. The short-term effects of low-level laser therapy in the management of breast-cancer-related lymphedema. – Support Care Cancer. 2011 May;19(5):685-90. DOI: 10.1007/s00520-010-0888-8. Epub 2010 May 6.
- Roberta T. Chow, Mark I. Johnson, Rodrigo A. B. Lopes-Martins, Jan M. Bjordal. Efficacy of low-level laser therapy in the management of neck pain: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized placebo or active-treatment controlled trials. – Lancet. 2009 Dec 5;374(9705):1897-908. DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(09)61522-1. E-pub 2009 Nov 13.
- Elizabeth McRae, Jaime Boris. Independent evaluation of low-level laser therapy at 635 nm for non-invasive body contouring of the waist, hips, and thighs. – Lasers Surg Med. 2013 Jan;45(1):1-7. DOI: 10.1002/lsm.22113.
- Robert F. Jackson, Gregory C. Roche, Steven C. Shanks. A double-blind, placebo-controlled randomized trial evaluating the ability of low-level laser therapy to improve the appearance of cellulite. – Lasers Surg Med. 2013 Mar;45(3):141-7. DOI: 10.1002/lsm.22119.
- Robert F. Jackson, Doug D. Dedo, Greg C. Roche, David I. Turok, Ryan J. Maloney. Low-level laser therapy as a non-invasive approach for body contouring: a randomized, controlled study. – Lasers Surg Med. 2009 Dec;41(10):799-809. DOI: 10.1002/lsm.20855.